Associazione Kora is currently looking for volunteers for a 2 month ESC project that will involve 12 volunteers from EU countries. It will be held in Norcia, Italy, one of the towns that was hit most heavily by the 2016 earthquake.
The project is the continuation of other group EVS projects that Associazione Kora coordinated in Norcia in August-September 2017, July-September 2018, February-April 2019 and July-August 2019 (more infos here).
The project is a volunteering team, meaning that it is also open to Italian volunteers and to participants that have already done short term and/or long term EVS/ESC projects.
Where: Norcia, Italy
When: 6 July – 3 September 2020
Who: 18-30 years old volunteers resident in EU member states + Iceland, Lichtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom; visa costs cannot be refunded
Deadline to apply: as soon as possible
NGO website: https://associazionekora.it
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/associazionekora
Project page: https://www.facebook.com/Europe4norcia/
Volunteers will work 35 hours per week, with 2 consecutive free days per week (not always Saturday and Sunday). Volunteers will support mainly one of the two following activities:
- Activities with children, youth and elderly: English sessions, outdoor activities, artistic workshops, sports…
- Workshops with people with mental disabilities about arts, crafts, physical activity
Volunteers can also take part in both activities if they wish, but it’s important to give continuity, both for the beneficiaries to establish relationships and for the volunteers to develop skills.
All volunteers will also help in the organisation of summer events and festivals about traditional food, sport, art and music: their importance is fundamental as they bring the community together and provide opportunities of socialisation.
Volunteers will be accommodated in a container home, sharing rooms of 3/4 people. They will receive a food allowance in cash every two weeks to buy lunch in local shops/supermarkets; breakfast will be provided by Associazione Kora and dinners will be eaten together in a local restaurant. Food and accommodation will be covered by the European Commission; volunteers will have health insurance and pocket money (150 € a month). Travel expenses will be refunded up until a fixed amount (180 € from 100 to 499 km distance, 275 € from 500 km to 1999 km, 360 € if more).
On arrival training, preparation and quarantine
Volunteers will spend their first 14 days in quarantine in Fattoria Scuola La Buona Terra, a farm in the countryside, where Associazione Kora is based. Despite quarantine is no longer mandatory for the Italian law, we decided to adopt stricter measures because volunteers will operate in a context where it can be difficult to avoid physical contact with children and people with disability. The voluntary quarantine will also make the local community of Norcia feel safer and more open to interact with the volunteers.
In the first week, volunteers will take part in an on-arrival training about Italian language, intercultural adaptation, community life, conflict management, sustainable living. The second week they will start planning the workshops for children and people with disabilities, and/or help in farm/renovation work if they want.
In the same period the farm will be hosting also 16 other European Solidarity Corps volunteers from another project.
Volunteers will sleep in single tents, have meals with the others and respect the necessary preventive measures for the COVID-2019 containment, such as physical distancing and not going outside the farm premises.
The ideal profile of the volunteers matches the following criteria:
- 18 – 30 years old
- Resident in EU member states + Iceland, Lichtenstein, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey, United Kingdom; visa costs cannot be refunded
- Available for the whole duration of the project (6 July – 3 September)
- Strong motivation, adaptability and enthusiasm
- Experience with kids/youth/people with disabilities and/or in events organisation and/or in teaching English
- Basic level of English
- Basic/good level in Italian is appreciated, even if not necessary
- Registered in European Solidarity Corps portal (if you haven’t registered yet, you can do it clicking here)
Unfortunately, due to the global pandemic of COVID-2019, we are unable to select candidates who can be considered in high-risk groups:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised
- Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications
- People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
- People with diabetes
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
How to apply
Register at European Solidarity Corps clicking here, and after you have created an account, fill in the online form below as soon as possible.
The selected candidates will receive an answer by mail.