Parco Faunistico di Piano dell’Abatino is currently looking for 1 volunteer that will support the staff members in their activities of animal keeping and spreading awareness on biodiversity protection.
Giardino Faunistico di Piano dell’Abatino is a rescue centre for wild animals that are in difficulties. One of the main activities of the Park is the recovery of wild animals. GFPA has been providing refuge and animal care since 1980. The park is a refuge for individuals saved from vivisection labs, for animals injured by hunters or other human activities and no longer fit to be reintroduced in the wild and for those animals considered to be normally as cannon fodder. The aim of the park’s activities is to heal the injured or sick animals: many of them can be released in the wild if they are completely recovered. At the moment the Park gives hospitality to about 400 animals, belonging to several species of mammalians, birds and reptiles.
Where: Poggio San Lorenzo, Italy
When: from end of February/beginning of March for 6/7 months. Dates and duration are slightly flexible
Who: 18-30 years old female volunteers resident in EU member countries
Hosting Organisation: Website – Facebook page
Applications deadline: 6th February 2022
The volunteer will support the staff members in the following tasks:
- Offering hospitality to injured or sick animals allowing their recovery and, if possible, supporting their introduction to the natural environment
- Promoting and spreading evolutionary process knowledge through the direct observation of animals
- Carrying out education activities and environmental education to support the development of a right relationship between man and other animals
- Performing research activity in the field of behavioural ecology in collaboration with universities and research institutes.
Click on the image below to watch a video about the experience of two European Solidarity Corps volunteers in the Park:
Food and accommodation will be covered by the European Commission; the volunteer will have health insurance, pocket money (5 euro per day) and an Italian language course. Travel expenses will be refunded up until a fixed amount (180 € from 100 to 499 km distance, 275 € from 500 km to 1999 km, 360 € if more). The volunteer will be accommodated in a house at 10 minutes walking distance from the Park, equipped with kitchen, bathroom, wi-fi, washing machine.
The volunteer will work 35 hours a week with two consecutive free days per week (not necessarily Saturday and Sunday). These hours include 1 hour for a meeting with the coordinator of the activities, that coaches the volunteers on their tasks, 1 hour for a meeting with the mentor, that evaluates the volunteers’ project, satisfaction and learning process, and the Italian language course, that will take 4 hours a week for the first 2 months.
- Available for the whole duration of the project
- 18-30 years old
- Resident in EU member countries
- Basic level in English
- Basic or good level in Italian is appreciated
- Ready to live in an intercultural context in a rural, isolated area, with the closest bus stop at 20 minutes walking down hill
- Ready to share a small house, and small room, with another (female) ESC volunteer
- Good time management, adaptability, patience, open-mindedness, team-work
- Previous education and working experiences in the described activities are welcome but not necessary
- Driving license is highly appreciatedy
- Covid measures: currently the Italian law requires the “green pass” to participate in public life and work. The green pass can be received with proof of vaccination or proof of recovery from covid (more information at this link: https://reopen.europa.eu/en/map/ITA/6001)
- Adhere to COVID measure set in place by the Italian government (including keeping the green pass updated as required) and the Park’s own policies set in place, which may vary based on the current Covid situation.
How to apply:
- Fill the online form below
- Send your CV with picture to [email protected], writing “Application for Animal Shelter” in the object of the mail.
Deadline to apply is 6th February. The pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an online interview.
Infos and questions: [email protected]