Microcosmo is currently looking for two volunteers from EU countries that will support the staff members in organic agriculture.
Microcosmo is a 1 hectare certified organic farm that produces about 60 species of vegetables in the open field and in a greenhouse. The company implements organic farming practices to create an environmentally harmonious setting, where external inputs are less and less necessary. Microcosmo also uses agriculture as a tool for social equality, running social agriculture activities with students with disabilities, and employability enhancement paths for youngsters with a disadvantaged background.
Where: Corciano, Italy
When: from the end of June 2021 (start date is flexible) until 31 January 2022
Who: 18-30 years old volunteers resident in EU member countries
Hosting Organisation: Società agricola biologica “Microcosmo”
Hosting Organisation Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/biomicrocosmo/
Applications deadline: 30 May 2021
The volunteer will support the staff members in the following tasks:
- Agricultural tasks, following seasonal natural cycles: sowing in containers and in soil, transplanting, watering / irrigation and fertilization, treatments (with products allowed in organic agriculture and/or self-prepared), green pruning and topping, composting, preparation of flower beds with mulching and – where necessary with – supports, collection/washing/packaging, sales (mainly in the company, to joint purchasing groups, in two monthly markets, to school canteens and restaurants), maintenance of equipment and materials, reorganization of company spaces.
- Social agriculture: collaborating with students with disabilities and youngsters with a disadvantaged background.
The volunteers will live in a flat, sharing a double room, together with other volunteers and living in an intercultural context.
Food and accommodation, Italian language course, health insurance and mentoring are covered by the European Solidarity Corps programme. Travel expenses will be refunded up until a fixed amount (180 € from 100 to 499 km distance, 275 € from 500 km to 1999 km, 360 € if more).
The volunteers will receive monthly pocket money of 5 € a day, a food allowance and a travel card to go from their flat to Microcosmo.
The volunteer will work 35 hours a week with two consecutive free days per week (not necessarily Saturday and Sunday). Working hours will vary according to the months, in order to work in good conditions and avoid very high temperatures. The hours on the field are usually as follows:
From June to September: 7.00-12.00
From October to December: 8.00-12.00
From January to February: 9.00-12.00
The remaining hours include 1 hour for a meeting with the coordinator of the activities, that coaches the volunteers on their tasks; 1 hour for a meeting with the mentor, that evaluates the volunteers’ project, satisfaction and learning process; Italian language course, that will take 4 hours a week for the first 2 months, and other tasks that can include graphic design and work in Fattoria La Buona Terra farm, together with the volunteers of Associazione Kora.
- Available for the whole duration of the project
- 18-30 years old
- Resident in EU member countries
- Basic level in English
- Basic or good level in Italian is appreciated
- Ready to live in an intercultural context in a rural, isolated area
- Hard-working attitude, adaptability, patience, open-mindedness, team-work
- Previous education and working experiences in the described activities are welcome but not necessary
- Driving license is highly appreciated.
How to apply:
- Fill the online form below
- Send your CV with picture to [email protected], writing “Application for Microcosmo” in the object of the mail.
Deadline to apply is 30 May. The pre-selected candidates will be contacted for an online interview.
Infos and questions: [email protected]