Associazione Kora is currently looking for volunteers for a 2 month EVS project that will involve 12 volunteers from EU countries. It will be held in Norcia, Italy, one of the towns that was hit most heavily by the 2016 earthquake.
The project is part of a Strategic EVS that is involving around 100 volunteers between 2017 and 2020: it has already taken place in Norcia twice (August-September 2017 and July-September 2018) and is currently taking place in other cities in 3 of the regions hit by the 2016 earthquake.
Where: Norcia, Italy
When: 20 February – 28 April 2019
Who: volunteers aged 18-30 from Erasmus+ programme countries (EU countries + the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia, Turkey)
Deadline to apply: as soon as possible
NGO website: https://associazionekora.it
NGO Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/associazionekora
Project page: https://www.facebook.com/Europe4norcia/
Volunteers will work 35 hours per week, with 2 consecutive free days per week (not always Saturday and Sunday). The volunteers will support local NGOs and other realities in:
- Organisation of “Marzo Benedettino”: events, conferences, meetings, events about local culture, traditional food, sport, art and music
- English conversation sessions for locals
- Theatre workshops with children
- Artistic and manual workshops with people with disabilities
- Card game tournaments with the elderly
- Info-point for locals and tourists
- Benedectine Monastery: reorganisation of library and warehouse, gardening and production of craft beer
- Networking and collaborations with other local realities
Volunteers will be accommodated in a container home (see picture below); they will share rooms by 3/4 people and eat together. In the container there are bedrooms, toilets, showers with hot water, a laundry room, a living room and a dining room. The containers also host some of the families that lost their homes in the earthquake, and the living and dining room are used for workshops with disabled people.
Meals will be provided by local restaurants.
Food and accommodation will be covered by the European Commission; volunteers will have a health insurance and pocket money (120 € a month). Travel expenses will be refunded up until 275 €.
The ideal profile of the volunteer matches the following criteria:
- Available for the whole duration of the project (20 February – 26 April 2019)
- 18 – 30 years old
- Strong motivation, adaptation and enthusiasm
- Experience with kids/youth/elderly/people with disabilities and/or in events organisation
- Basic level of English
- Registered in European Solidarity Corps portal (if you haven’t registered yet, you can do it clicking here)
How to apply
Before applying, it is fundamental to understand that post-earthquake recovery is a complex process that requires motivation, adaptability and time. Volunteers will have the chance to see in first person how the process takes place and how the population copes with the situation; they will explore the stories of the locals and improve their daily lives by bringing their experiences, energy and culture.
To apply, please fill in the online form available here as soon as possible.
The candidates will receive an answer about the selection by mail.