Where: Umbria, Italy
When: from 15 October 2018 to 15 June 2019
Hosting Organisation: Cooperativa di Sperimentazione Territoriale per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile
Applications deadline: 26 September 2018
Cooperativa di Sperimentazione Sociale per lo Sviluppo Sostenibile is currently looking for two EVS volunteers from EU programme countries that will support the staff members in two main fields: agriculture and environmental sensitisation.
The hosting organisation:
The cooperative manages and hosts activities in “La Buona Terra”, the first educational farm in Italy with over 30 years experience in working with children, teenagers and adults of all ages.
La Buona Terra is based in Passignano sul Trasimeno, near Lake Trasimeno, in the centre of Italy. It offers environmental education for groups of all ages, cooperatives, youth and private groups. Each year it hosts about 10,000 people mainly in spring, summer and autumn. Among these: Amnesty International, different associations (Joint, IDC, Kora, PECO…), summer camps for youngsters from abroad. Some do farm activities, others informal and non formal education activities, others are only given accommodation.
The Buona Terra also hosts courses for adults about healthy and conscious nutrition as well as training courses on sustainable development.
Finally, the farm is also a residence for horses and all activities related to the ordinary management of the farm. All the activities with plants and animals follow the values of organic farming and the respect of nature and its rhythm.
The volunteers will support the staff members in the following tasks:
- Environmental sensitisation activities in the youth office of Perugia, the region’s capital
- Agriculture activities (olive picking, cheese making, taking care of the vegetable garden, of plants and of farm animals…)
- Educational activities with schools and kids in the farm: guided tours of the farm, workhops with children
- Creation of shared vegetables gardens in Norcia, one of the towns that was most heavily struck by the 2016 earthquake, and where the Cooperative is collaborating for the project “Europe for Norcia”
- Logistics (helping in the kitchen, events organisation…)
The volunteers will work for 7 hours a day, 5 days a week with 2 consecutive free days free, plus 2 free days a month.
Volunteers will live in Perugia, the region’s capital. They will share double rooms in a flat with other 4 EVS volunteers, cook together and live in an intercultural context. The flat is at walking distance to grocery shop and public transports. They will do their activities in different centres and towns according to the projects and period of the year: the youth office is 30 minutes on foot, the school farm is 30 minutes by train, shared gardens in Norcia are 1 hour 15 by car (volunteers will be driven by car).
Food and accommodation, language course, health insurance and mentoring are covered by the Erasmus+ programme. Travel expenses will be refunded up until 275 €.
The volunteer will receive a monthly pocket money of around 120 € (4 € a day).
The ideal candidates match the following criteria:
- Available for the whole duration of the project (from 15 October 2018 to 15 June 2019)
- 18-30 years old
- Experienced/interested in agriculture, environment and educational activities
- Interested in learning Italian
- Ready to live in an intercultural context
- Speak basic English
The pre-selected candidates will be invited via email for a skype interview to be held on October 2.